Friday, July 8, 2011

Potato Chips

Yesterday, I ate potato chips. Not 10 of them like I'm supposed to on my diet. I ate probably 30 chips. Why would I break the diet for potato chips, you ask? Well, I blame it on Theo from The Cosby Show. I was watching the show on Netflix yesterday and Theo poured a bag of chips into a bowl.  I thought to myself, "Mmmmm, potato chips would be delicious right now..."  So, I went downstairs in search of the greasy, crispy things. Lo and behold, there they were, sitting on the shelf, calling my name. So, I brought the bag upstairs and munched on them until the craving was satisfied. They were delicious!

Despite the deliciousness, I still feel a little regret. I shouldn't have eaten them (or at least not that many of them). I don't usually like potato chips; I prefer pretzels (especially with ice cream!). In other news, I have exercised three days so far this week.  On Tuesday, I did a little running. I did yoga on a dog hair-covered rug in my living room on Wednesday. And, on Thursday, I jogged six whole laps around the track behind Root Elementary. This may seem like a small achievement to you; but, to me, I may as well have conquered the world! Today, I'm too sore to workout and I wanted to sleep in a little bit. I still need to weigh myself.

I hate the scale.  I hate stepping on its cold surface and watching as the dial inches past the mid-100s into the dismal range that is my weight.  I hate the sad sound the springs make as they struggle to contract under my bulk.  I really hate scales.  I know people who weigh themselves every day because it makes them "more accountable" to what they're eating.  I am not one of those people. I prefer to go months without weighing myself. The only thing motivating me to step on to that small box of torture is that I'm on a diet.

I'm not sure if I've talked about my diet yet. Why am I on a diet, you may be wondering?  Well, you see, I'm overweight. Only by a little, but still overweight.  I have always been very self-conscious (as you may have been able to tell by my hatred of the scale) and I am tired of not liking my body.  So, I'm doing something about it (plus, I work at a bakery AND I can't afford bigger clothes).  My diet is called the Change One Diet (or the Reader's Digest diet).  The way it works is each week you work on a different meal or aspect of your life.  The first week was breakfast, then lunch, then snacks, then dinner, now exercise.  I skipped the eating out week and holiday week because there aren't any holidays now and I can't afford to eat out.  I've really liked how it's set up so far. Everything is really manageable.  I don't feel like I'm depriving myself.  That's what I usually hate about diets--the feeling of deprivation.  On the Change One diet, I can eat whatever I want, just smaller portions.

The thing I've struggled most with so far is the snacks. I'm a snacker and a boredom eater.  I love snacks, whether I'm hungry or not. Especially sweets...at night.  I will follow my diet perfectly all day, but right before bed I get a terrible sweet tooth.  I don't know how to cure it! Despite the difficulty snacks were to me, I've lost 8 pounds so far! I'm pretty dang proud of myself!

Any tips for beating the late-night munchies? Do any of you feel the same animosity towards the scale? Are you on a diet, too? If so, is it working?

Until next time, have a great weekend!

Love,
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment